Domonic Brown just struck Contreras’ big truck. Car alarm blasting. Whoops.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) February 29, 2012
Spring training is being kicked off with a bang, or in Domonic Brown’s case, a smash and the sound of a car alarm. Looks like he’ll be buying the Big Truck dinner tonight.
Anyway, some news came out of clearwater today. Ryan Howard had a set-back the other day when the stitches on his Achilles injury ripped open.
“I don’t prefer to use (set-back),” said Phillies trainer Scott Sheridan. “I know that’s what everybody wants to use. We had never established a particular time frame for him, and right now it’s one of those things that happens in the rehab process. We just have to move forward from it.”
But the good news is that the tendon itself is intact and Howard will only inactive a few more days with an infection. Read Sheridan’s comments on Todd Zolecki’s blog.
As you know, today marks the first game of Spring Training as the Phillies take on Florida State at 1:05 PM. Austin Hyatt will get the start for the Phillies.
That being said, the rest of the pitching schedule has been set.
- Saturday vs. Yankees: Cole Hamels, Dave Bush, Jonathan Papelbon, Dontrelle Willis, Raul Valdes and Mike Stutes.
- Sunday @ Yankees: Roy Halladay, Joel Pineiro, David Purcey, Antonio Bastardo and Phillippe Aumont.
- Monday vs. Yankees: Joe Blanton, Scott Elarton, Austin Hyatt, Brian Sanches and David Herndon.
- Tuesday @ Blue Jays: Cliff Lee, Kyle Kendrick, Jeremy Horst, Michael Schwimer, J.C. Ramirez and Valdes.
- Wednesday vs. Astros: Vance Worley, Pat Misch, Papelbon, Willis and Stutes.
- Thursday vs. Pirates: Hamels, Bush, Bastardo, Purcey and Aumont.
- March 9 @ Tigers: Halladay, Pineiro, Herndon, Sanches, Horst and Valdes.